Saturday, October 25, 2008

Movie with Mom

My mom and I have been spending a lot of time at the movies together lately. It's nice to spend time with mom (and parents in general) that don't involve medical madness.
Well, the first one did. 
On Tuesday I went over to the house for dinner--mom and I were going to see The Secret Life of Bees (one of the few books both of us have actually read). But first, we had to access The Port. 
Now the Port being mine, it has a mind of its own. Sometimes, it cooperates. Sometimes--not. 
Today was a "not" day. 
The House Rule is that we give it two tries before we call Polly at clinic and have her set something up with the Infusion Pros. 
First time--no go. It bled a lot, upon removal of the needle (which is not helpful). 
Second time (post dinner)--it finally worked, although it hurt like you-know-what. It was not a Happy Port. But we got a blood return, and that's all we need.
Anyway, after that, Mom and I went to the movie and had soda and Milk Duds. 
The movie itself was good (the book, of course is better), but I think you'll enjoy it more if you haven't read the book. Dakota Fanning is stellar as Lily--I actually cried during her scene with August in the bedroom. I never cry at movies. Never.  Paul Bettany, as Lily's dad T-Ray, is also wonderful (but he's wonderful in everything, the DaVinci Code excepted, of course). 

Last night, it was a cold, rainy, windy fall evening. Mom came over for pizza and we watched Signs, which neither of us had seen in awhile. That's one of my favorite movies, and now I want to watch Walk the Line and The Village and all sorts of other Joaquin Phoenix movies. 
(And watch Charlotte's Web and War of the Worlds for a Dakota Fanning fix)
We had to stop Signs at 7:00 for Jeopardy! though--of course! 

Fall and Winter are great times for these things--movies, games, pizza dinners. Indulge. 

No comments: