Sunday, January 24, 2010

Sunday baking: Giada's Garlic and Sun-Dried Tomato Corn Muffins

My brother got me Giada's Kitchen for Christmas. This is the first recipe I've made from the book. So in his honor, these are "Bryan's Sunday Muffins". 

 Bryan's Sunday Muffins
2 (8.5 oz.) package corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy
2/3 c. diced sun-dried tomatoes (from an 8-oz. jar)
2 c. frozen corn kernels, thawed
3 garlic cloves, minced
2/3 c. buttermilk (1 c. milk + 1 tbsp. white vinegar)
2/3 c. sour cream
2 large eggs, beaten

Preheat the oven to 375. Insert paper liners in 16 muffin cups, or grease tins.
In a large bowl, combine the corn, muffin mix, garlic, and sun-dried tomatoes. Stir to combine. Mix in buttermilk, sour cream and eggs and stir until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins, filling the cups about halfway. Bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
Total time to make: About 25 minutes. 

*Notes: The original recipe says this makes 16 muffins; I found it makes 20, and I used a large cookie dough scoop to fill the muffin tins. So be prepared! 

I used 1% milk to make the buttermilk, and low fat sour cream. The muffins turned out beautifully moist. That may be because my sun dried tomatoes were in olive oil, and I didn't strain them. 

No comments: