Wednesday, January 24, 2007

I'm not crazy!!

One of the things I hate about doctors, health care workers in general is the tendency to move things to the "it's all in your head" category when they can't find a real reason for your pain, problems, etc. Now, granted, some things might be psychosomatic, meaning that you are, mentally, causing them to happen, consciously or not. But I know my body. I've been around the block a few times. I know when it's my head and when it's actual physical symptoms.

Case in point--the last few days, my heart rate has been really high, like 150. That's a resting heart rate. Normally my resting heart rate is like 118, 120. 150 is what I try to hit when I work out. So this is not so happy. I've also been having recurring chest pain (again), shortness of breath (again), etc. So I called High Command today and we moved my appt. from Monday to tomorrow, which I like. But at one point someone asked me "are you nervous? Are you OK?" and it's like, "Um, hello!?" Now I know that the person was being solicitous and really wanted to know. But so many times it just gets shifted to, "oh, it's all mental. She's worried about something so she's flipping out and this is what's causing everything." Um, no. Last night I was in the middle of dinner with my friends, talking about the Oscar race, and I got chest pains. I so wasn't even thinking about it. Stress, of course, comes when you are sick and you don't know what the heck is going on with your body, or when it's going to get back to normal. It's a vicious cycle. But I know when I am just freaking out and making myself all twitterpated and when my body is doing it of its own accord.

No comments: