Friday, October 02, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday--Vol. XIV (medical exploits edition)



I.
So, let's talk about the insanity of my week, which kicked off with this.

II.
Medical insanity continued with oral surgery today, which basically consisted of taking tissue from my hard palette on the left side of my mouth and moving it to four teeth on my lower jaw. After all those aerosol treatments, my gums had receeded, and this needed to be done so I didn't, you know, lose teeth. Which is just not a good look for anyone. The upside of this is that my diet consists of milkshakes, soup and ice cream for the next week.

III.
I also get to emulate Dr. House, because I have vicodin for painkillers, which I seriously need. I didn't think this would hurt so much!

IV.
Book update: Re-reading my Isabel Dalhousie books, and am reading Traveling With Pomegranates, but Sue Monk Kidd and her daughter, Ann. It's a great read so far, and also has a lot of great tidbits about the writing of The Secret Lives of Bees, so if you're a fan of hers, or memoirs, or travel memoirs, go pick this up.

V.




Another big highlight of my week--The Wizard of Oz. I love, love, love this movie; it was the first movie my parents ever bought, way back in the 1980s when VHS tapes cost $80+. (Can you believe that?) I would watch it over and over, transfixed, and the only sound I would make would be at the end, where I would cry, thereby telling my mom to rewind the movie. "OVer the Rainbow" is one of my favorite songs,a nd at any family wedding my grandpa always asks the band to play it for me. (This was somewhat embarrassing in my teens but I like it now.)
So, naturally, I bought the super duper special set on Tuesday, and let me tell you--it is gorgeous. Those ruby slippers! The yellow brick road! It's amazing. Do yourself a favor and go pick it up. The set also includes a watch (!), a collector's book, original marketing materials, and, of course, the movie, in a four disk set crammed with extras. I can't wait to watch the movie with the Sing-a-long track.

VI.
In the world of voice--Robin is very pleased with my progress. She said my interpretation and expression are excellent, especially in "He Was Despised", so I was really happy. This is something I get complimented on a lot, but it's also something that I am always working on fine-tuning.
The other great thing about lessons with Robin is how much we talk about! We talk about different singers, who we like and who we don't. She gave me a great piece of advice--"find the best recording of a piece and listen to that." As in, listen to different interpretations, and then find the one you like the best. I've been doing this with "Storybook". I have three recordings of it: Linda Eder; Christine Andreas (in the original cast), and Rachel York (in the second Broadway cast). Ms. Andreas' recording is, in my opinion, the best, and it's her interpretation that I like to emulate when I sing it. We also talked about favorite singers--we both love Renee Fleming. :) Yay!

VII.
I'm at my parents' house this weekend, so it's sort of Mac heaven. I enjoy that.

Enjoy the weekend everyone!


1 comment:

Karl - Your Work Happiness Matters said...

Oral surgery, ouch. At least you get to eat fun food. I haven't had a good milk shake in a while. Maybe I'll go out this afternoon and get one. A great treat on a Sunday.