Friday, August 07, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday--Vol. IX (the Play Ball! edition)


I.

Back from date with the boy/guy/man (whatever you want to call him, since "boy" is not universally loved by my readers) to the Clippers game. The Clippers are the Cleveland Indians' AAA affiliate (farm team), and they were playing Buffalo, lost 4-3. Could've tied it, except the last play of the game was a double play. ARGH!

II.
Lots of fun, both in the game and in the company. Started to rain a bit in the 8th (what is it with our dates and rain, huh?) but it was negligible. Lots of families with adorable children, and lots of women in heels. Why were they in heels? It's a baseball game! Who are you trying to impress?

III.
The Indians' mascot, Slider the Bird, was there, joining the Clippers' bird and seal. Watching Slider dance on the dugout is something else.

IV.
I got the materials for my five year college reunion in the mail today. FIVE YEARS? What is u with that? Apparently it includes a 2 mile run/walk, the usual homecoming events (Cap corner, etc., and the game), and then the party that night in the Cap center, where the class photo will be taken. I can't believe it's been five years! I will be sending in my registration forms soon, so I hope the rest of you alumni who read this will do the same!!!

V.
I do still see a lot of my friends from college, and high school, which I think is impressive. It's nice to have so many long-lasting friendships. Anne, one of my best friends, and I have known each other since we were six! Go us!

VI.

Football training camp has begun! Go Steelers!

VII.

And finally, some books: Harry Potter And the Half-Blood Prince, and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Deathly Hallows always, always makes me cry, especially when Snape tells Dumbledore that he's loved Lily for years after she died. From that point until Harry kicks ass, I am just one big puddle. Catharsis, man. Catharsis.

2 comments:

Mindy Goorchenko said...

Just stopping by to read your Quick Takes. I never would have thought that Harry Potter books could bring someone to tears. How wonderful to hear. :)

Emily said...

And the thing is, I'm not even a crier! I mean, I hardly ever cry in books/movies. So I was shocked.