Saturday, August 22, 2009

Musings

I know, I know, I know...I have been neglecting y'all of late.
Part of it is nothing really thrilling is going on. (OK, that's probably good, because when things are thrilling in my life, that means things are not going well, in general.) The other part is that i just haven't really had the heart to write. This week has mostly been contained in the inexplicable urge to curl up and nap. It did rain all week, so that could be it. Or it could just be general disappointment in various things.
But, as Jane says, "Let other pens dwell on disappointment. I quit such subjects as soon as I can." So, following her excellent advice, we won't dwell on that.
Late August/Early September is one of my favorite times of year. I love the change of the seasons, as summer gives way to fall; I like watching the students go off to school; I like the resumption of my activities and a regular rhythm to life. Ballet classes resume, my arts organizations that took the summer off come back, audition schedules ramp up, and football season starts! Also I just love fall--the clothes, the crispness of the air, the harvest, the time spent with family.
Yes I said harvest. I do live in Ohio, after all, and agriculture is still our biggest industry. I can drive not even five minutes from my apartment and see gorgeous fields of corn and soybeans. From my sister's high school stadium (well, her former high school), I can see acres of farmland that used to belong to a friend of mine and his family. In the markets, fresh corn is abundant (and delicious). Apples, pears, plums...they're all over the place. This is enough to make me pretty happy.
So I'll gather them and cook, and enjoy the change of seasons as we head toward fall and Christmas, which is, as we know, one of my favorite things. No day but today, friends.
(Oh...and more summer reading updates shortly...as in, right after I publish this)

No comments: