Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring bookshelf

('ere we go...)



This is actually a very nice edition; both stories are included, with a nice introduction that explores Dodgson's life and deeper themes in the Alice stories. The illustrations are from the original. I have to say the cover is what lead me to get this copy, as opposed to the millions of other re-issues that are flying about now. I enjoyed Through the Looking Glass more than Adventures in Wonderland, and the recent Tim Burton movie takes its inspiration more from Looking Glass. 







 
Elizabeth Berg is one of my favorite authors. I just love her stuff. It always makes me want to go out and write, or put on classical music, bake, and then get in a huge bubble bath. (Read The Year of Pleasures, or Until the Real Thing Comes Along or Talk Before Sleep...you get the idea.) This one is about five different high school classmates who are attending their 40th high school reunion. Although some of the characters are repellent (Dorothy!), it's an enjoyable book--classic Berg.






I love Richard Paul Evans. I read his first book, The Christmas Box, when I was in seventh grade, and fell in love. His stories are always well-written, and probing. They are almost always love stories, but adult love stories--love stories that require sacrifice, stories about grown-up love (one of the reasons I love them). He's written two series before: The Christmas Box series, which consists of the titular novel, as well as The Timepiece and The Letter; and The Locket series, which consists of The Locket, The Looking Glass (one of my favorite novels), and The Carousel.
The Walk is different--it's the first of a five-part series, with each installment to be released in April (the next is due April 11). Alan Christofferson had everything--and lost it. Now the only thing he can see to do is walk cross-country--from Seattle to Key West, Florida. The Walk series will chronicle his journey and the people he meets along the way.
The first installment was good, although does anyone know a person actually named McKay? A very strange name for Alan's wife. Alan's struggle is conveyed through journal entries, as well as through conversation with the people he meets along the way. I'm really interested to see how his walk turns out.

This one I'm still working on. I love Jane, as we know. I love good bound books. The new Penguin Classics hardcover has them all. I'm reading it rather slowly, partially because Emma is my least favorite novel, and partially because I like to enjoy Jane, even when I don't particularly like her characters. In my opinion, the novel doesn't pick up until Mrs. Elton comes into the picture. Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice are also available in these hard cover editions.

No comments: