Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I Only Know What I Know

On my facebook page I've been posting a bit about the Oliver! soundtrack. Auditions for a production of the show are in May. Before, oh, a few months ago, I didn't know a whole lot about this show. I knew Consider Yourself and a bit of Food, Glorious Food, but that was it.  I learned "As Long As He Needs Me" as a potential audition piece, but I didn't know how it was set within the context of the musical.

Anyway, now having watched the movie several times, listening to the soundtrack, and working on the vocal selections book, I have a pretty good grasp of the music.

Today's weather was really nice, so I posted "Who Will Buy This Beautiful Morning" as one of my status messages (just that line). This lead to a discussion about the song, and a friend being surprised that I wasn't familiar with Oliver! until fairly recently.

So here's a list of shows I could sing in my sleep: (bold type indicates I've seen it live, italic means I've been in it)
  • Phantom of the Opera
  • Les Miz
  • Jekyll and Hyde
  • Parade
  • Miss Saigon
  • The Scarlet Pimpernel
  • The Secret Garden
  • Ragtime
  • Side Show
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Lion King
  • Avenue Q
  • Titanic
  • Gypsy
  • Jesus Christ Superstar
  • My Fair Lady
  • The Sound of Music
  • Sunset Boulevard
  • Evita
  • Into the Woods
  • Wicked
  • Children of Eden
  • Annie
  • Annie Get Your Gun
  • Cinderella
  • The Producers
  • Spamalot
  • The Music Man
  • Fiddler on the Roof 
  • Aida
Ones I know fairly well:
  • Oklahoma
  • The Light in the Piazza
  • The Pirate Queen
  • Carousel
  • Allegro
  • Guys and Dolls
  • Chicago
  • Company
  • Working
  • Love Never Dies (still working on this one)
  • State Fair
  • South Pacific (I know almost all of the songs except for ones like Dites-Moi. Know the title, not the tune.)
  • The King and I 
  •  West Side Story
Ones I'm familiar with (as in, I can sing a few of the big songs, but that's it)
  • Kiss Me, Kate ("Another Op'ning", "I Hate Men", "Brush Up..."
  • Flower Drum Song (The ABHORRENT "I enjoy being a girl")
  • Martin Guerre ("How Many Tears?", etc.)
  • Cats ("Memory", that's it, sorry.)
  • The Little Mermaid (this, and Mary Poppins--I know the movie songs)
  • Mary Poppins
  • A Little Night Music ("Send In the Clowns")
  • Camelot ("The Simple Joys of Maidenhood", "Before I Gaze...", "If Ever...", "Camelot")
  • Little Shop of Horrors
  • The Fantastiks (Who DOESN'T know "Try to Remember"?)
  • Finnegan's Rainbow
  • Brigadoon! ("Waiting for My Dearie")
  • 42nd Street ("Lullaby of Broadway", "42nd Street")
  • Chess ("Someone Else's Story")
  • A Little Princess ("Live Out Loud")
  • A Christmas Carol 
  • Street Scene (which could be considered more opera...)  
  •  A Chorus Line ("One", "What I Did For Love", "Nothing")
  • 1776 ("Sit Down, John"...I would like to know this one better. On the list...) 
  • Hello, Dolly! ("Hello, Dolly!", "Ribbons Down My Back", "Until the Parade Passes By" )
    A short list of ones I know nothing or almost nothing about:
    • Swing!
    • Contact
    • Steel Pier
    • Spring Awakening
    • The Woman In White
    • The Beautiful Game
    • Little Women
    • Merrily We Roll Along
    • 50 percent
    • The Apple Tree
    • The Putnam County Spelling Bee (yeah I know, I shortened the Title)
    • Mamma Mia
    • Jersey Boys
    • Stop the World, I Want To Get Off
    • A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (I know "comedy tonight")
    • How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying
    • Two By Two
    • Zorba

    I know I'm missing some. But really, there's a fair amount of musical theater--especially from the 50s, 60s and 70s--that I know NOTHING about. Any big dance shows are not my thing, because my dancing skills are limited. And any shows without decent alto parts--also limited. So that eliminates a lot of early musical theater.

    No comments: