Thursday, March 08, 2007

Bookshelf: Nineteen Minutes

Just finished Jodi Picoult's new book, Nineteen Minutes , about a high school shooting in New Hampshire. Alex Cormier is the local judge whose daughter, Josie, is one of the injured students; however, Alex is due to have the case appear on her docket. Additionally, Josie and the shooter, Peter Houghton, used to be friends, until peer pressure and the desire to be liked forced them apart.

I found it to be a good read, not as good as My Sister's Keeper , which is my favorite of all her books, but it's up there. The timeline goes back and forth from the present day to 17 years previous, when Peter and Josie's mothers (Alex and Lacy) first met. Two characters from previous Picoult books, Det. Patrick DuCharme ( Perfect Match ) and Jordan McAfee ( The Pact ) also show up in this book. I can't talk too much about the plot because I don't want to give too much away, but if you're interested in finding out more you can visit the author's website here.

Not a fast read, there's a lot of material to digest, and the ending is pretty cool. Totally blew me away. Overall one of her more enjoyable installments.

No comments: