Thursday, September 03, 2009

Tra la la (OR: Voice lessons redux)

So tonight was my first voice lessons with Teacher Robin on the West side of town. Yes, I got lost twice but that's because I can't read directions, apparently. I still arrived for my hour lesson in time.

Robin is wonderful. Warm, funny, and a great teacher (She has her BA in voice performance). We did some range ID exercises (finding the high and low of my voice), and pitch ID, which is what I really need to work on. The higher we go, the more "iffy" it gets. The note is there, but not solid, as we say. So we're going to be doing a lot of ear training. I sang one piece--Carmen's "Habanera", since French is one of the languages I'm most comfortable in--, and we selected pieces for the next lesson.

I'm working on: one Italian piece, Vergen, Tutto Amor, from the Yellow Italian Aria Book, and "He Was Despised", from the Part II of "Messiah." I really, really love this piece and I'm looking forward to working on it. Robin also wants to hear the ubiquitous (for me) "Storybook", and we'll probably work more on Wildhorn's music.

Robin and I both like dolls, Disney movies, and Twilight. I am thrilled to be working with her, and to be back in the studio.

Speaking of music: check this out, and then buy. Immediately.

No comments: