Friday, December 04, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday Vol. XVIII



I.
Last night, I went back to my alma mater to see the annual Christmas Festival. I hadn't seen it since 2003, when I was ushering it, and I'd been in the ones prior to that. So this was the first time I'd gone to the show and just watched. It was strange. I felt like I should be doing something, especially when the hymns were sung. At that point I was usually processing in or out. So it was strange.

II.
For those who didn't go to Cap: The Christmas Festival is a HUGE concert, given four times over four days (it runs until Sunday) that rings in the Christmas season at Cap. All of the University choirs participate, plus a large amount of instrumentalists. It is a lot of work, taking months to prepare, and usually sells out as soon as tickets go on sale. People plan their entire December around Christmas Festival. Not kidding. You can get some of the recordings online, but the link is currently down, so I'll post it later.  Every year, there's a theme: my freshman year it was "All Creatures of Our God and King", so the readings and the songs had to do with (or mentioned) animals, this year the theme was "There Shall A Star", so stars were the theme.

III.
A lot of my old college buddies (and current theater folk) are in the choirs--the Choral Union is a student/alum/community choir. So it was great to see so many familiar faces, and it made me want to try out next autumn. We'll see...

IV.
The SAIs (my fraternity) were ushering. Whoa, that brought back memories. I forgot to wear my badge, but I talked to some of the girls anyway. They seem fantastic.

V.
Before I had dinner with my brother and sister at the Bexley Monk. Lots of fun, lots of delicious food. Mel and I then went back to her dorm room so she could change before the concert. She and I ended up chatting to a older alumni couple who were seated next to us. Mees is "intimate" (code for--CROWDED, it seats about 900), so we were pretty close together.

VI.
A few of the songs were oldies, ones that I had sung in high school and college. That always makes me happy.

VII.
All my Christmas gifts are wrapped, and now I can prepare for another audition: Company, on the 14th. I'm singing "The Ladies Who Lunch." Robin and I are knocking it out at lessons and I hope I get cast. Updates to come.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: