Sunday, December 27, 2009

I want to get a double lung transplant asap *--43 things note

Note: This is an entry I wrote for the "43 Things" site, where people list goals they have for life, the upcoming year, etc. This is someone's goal for this year, and I wrote about my experience. 


"The best experience of my life. "

How I did it: I was listed for a double lung transplant in May of 2005 after an evaluation at Nationwide Children's Hospital the previous March. I was twenty-three years old. I received my transplant on July 11, 2005.
How I did it isn't really relevant for transplant--you get listed, and you wait!

Lessons & tips: Be patient. It's so hard...I am the most impatient person in history. But you'll drive yourself crazy waiting for the phone to ring. Try to live as best you can without over thinking things. The call will come when it comes, and you can't hurry that.
A good support system is crucial--friends, family, etc. You need to be able to discuss important things and you need people that will help you pre and post surgery with the medical and PT regiments.

Resources: I had a great transplant coordinator, and good friends and family support, so I was able to talk to a lot of people.

It took me 40 days.

It made me SOOO happy!

No comments: