Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Senior year

With the exception of the evil roommate fiasco, Senior year was actually going pretty well, with the other exception of stats, which I hated, but I needed to take a math class and everyone kept telling me "Stats in good for politics. "

"You'll need it on campaigns," my advisor told me.

"On campaigns, we hire the number crunchers. They're called pollsters," I said dryly. Like I've said, I am not a math girl in any way, shape or form.

I was also taking Mythology with Dr. Summers, my favorite English prof, who had also taught me Shakespeare (where richelle and I joined a group in acting out Act i, Scene ii of the Tempest - I was Miranda) ; Brit Lit 1, where we read Beowulf in Anglo-Saxton and tried our tongues at Chaucer's Middle English ("In Apryle when the showers shoote); Modern Drama, where I got to read part of Eliza in Pygmalion and Nora in A Doll's House , and Intro to Lit, my first English Lit course, where I had to read Joyce's Portrait of teh Artist as a Young Man (after having read it - and hated it - in AP English), the Oedipous triogy (again), Hamlet (of course) and poetry. On top of Mythology, which I loved, I also had Senior Seminar for English with Dr. Dyck, which mostly focused on literary criticism. At the end of the semester, to the background noise of Gregory Peck in To Kill A Mockingbird , I churned out my 15 page paper on feminism in Mansfield Park (How could I not do something on Jane?!). I finished about 2 a.m. and did well on it. It remains one of my favorite papers.

On top of all this, I was the Public Relations Director for the OCRF (Ohio College Republican Federation), where we had planned a Fall Leadership Retreat in September and were busy planning our annual convention to take place in early April at Miami University, as well as the annual CPAC trip in January. Branden was the secretary of the OCRF, so we spent a lot of time at Republican Party HQ on Fifth St. downtown, running copies and trying to get the anicent, decrepit computer to actually work . I was also chair of the Campus Ministries Student Govnerment Subcommittee, President of Catholic Students' Organization, V-P of Membership (In charge of Rush) for Sigma Alpha Iota and of course active in Capital CRs. There was some burning the candle at both ends but it was so much fun, even with the massive thesis and stats (which I passed, thank God!)

But all wasn't good times...in November my parents and I went to Cleveland for the first time...and that was fun....

No comments: