Friday, May 15, 2009

Seven Quick Takes Friday--Vol. IV

I. 

Market Day was on Thursday this week. For $19, I bought: two large lemons, a pint of strawberries, a bunch of bananas (for the making of these), a quart of local,non-fat milk (that tastes AMAZING), and a pound of hot dogs from the local butcher. $15 more will buy you two delicious pints of ice cream from here. (And if you don't live in Columbus, get this delivered. Seriously)

II. 
Had my first MA class yesterday-Principles of Biblical Study I. You can read about it here. I have my first Sacraments class tonight. I'll let you know how it goes. 

III. 
Addendum to point II--I still can't believe I read all of Genesis in one sitting. I guess reading the Bible is more fun when you understand how it works, or you're looking for things. Not that I didn't like Genesis before, but it makes more sense when you understand it. True of life in general I guess. 

IV. 
Auditions for Hilliard Summer Theater's musical--Big River--are next Sunday. If I can swing clips rotation with my boss and co-workers, I will be there. I am looking forward to seeing lots of old friends! If you want to read about my first year of summer adventures with them, check out the 'j_h' category on the sidebar.  Still not sure what next year's theater line-ups are for other theater companies. 

V. 
In apartment news--my dad thinks I need a new garbage disposal. Yay! 

VI. 
Not a lot of reading this week. I got Scott Hahn's "A Father Who Keeps His Promises", and began to read it, but since my MA stuff came the next day, I"ve been reading that. I will probably read some more over the weekend and have bookshelves if there is anything new (as in, anything from the ever-growing 'to read' pile that gets finished). The new Duck's Cottage book club book should be arriving tomorrow or Monday, so I'm excited to see it!

VII. 
We have had a lot of rain this spring, so much that when it's sunny (like today) everything is a brilliant green. BUt when it's not sunny, when it's overcast and rainy, I'm reminded of a phrase of Annie Dillard's, from Pilgrim at Tinker Creek. She talks about the "fecundity of spring"--how things are growing and green and alive, how it's a powerful thing to witness. So while I love the sun, seeing that power and growth when it's grey and raining is quite wonderful as well. 

For more quick takes, hop over to conversion diary

No comments: