Thursday, October 05, 2006

Hanging out at home

So I decided to go back to work Nov. 7, or something, so my first week would be short due to Veterans' Day. But I still had to wait until October was over, because even with the completion of rehab, I still had a lot of testing to do that would pretty much consume October, like the 3 month tests, which included a bronch (which, as we know, I love!) with biospy, which meant it would take a little longer and I'd be a wee bit more sedated. The chances of being sore afterwards were also higher since we were snipping of a bit (or bits?) of lung to test for rejection as we did this. So in October I geared up for all that, and I bought a new car, a 2002 Civic EX I named Lilo, after I traded in the beloved Rosie for something with a little more "get." But man, it's hard to say goodbye to your first car...sigh.

Anyway, in September, choir practice at church started again, and I was so glad to be back. I had real lung capacity, woohoo! Everyone was excited to have me back, and I was glad to actually get out of the house occasionally, since I got my driving privileges back at the end of Sept./beginning of October. I also went out with my friends to celebrate birtdays, like Tom's 23rd at the end of August and Tiff's 24th in the beginning of September (pics to follow). I don't look like Heidi Klum, but for someone who just had major surgery I don't look too bad, either. I didn't really start gaining weight back until the New Year, about 6 months post-tx.
It was so nice to be out in the world again!

Also in August, I was named the Columbus Diocese's Young Catholic Woman of the Year at a banquet with Bishop Campbell. It was nice to be nominated, but I gotta tell you it was also nice to win. :) We had a nice ceremony and I got a lapel pin and a plaque that hangs on my apt. wall. Very nice, especially given the DeArdo family tradition of always being nominated and never actually winning.

I also did a lot of reading, a lot of DVD watching (what else???).

No comments: